Soon after Pope Francis announced in January 2015 that Junípero Serra would be canonized, I began a journey of discovery. Readers of my first book know the impetus. On the fifth anniversary of the start of my journey, I’d like to reflect on what a colleague and friend of mine called an apostolate.
First, a special thanks goes to my wife and son. It is not easy juggling home, work, and one’s passion. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Next, I am very grateful to all others who have supported me along the way. I began this enterprise to help people understand that California mission history can help inform the mind and soul. Since May 2018, I have also learned that it can impact the physical, or body (more on that below). I hope that I have been able to inform you in some way.
Last, though I have had some obstacles along the way (haters), since the journey started I have had some amazing experiences.
- one book about California mission history has led to three books in a three year span (countries where books have sold –not including e-books–
U.S.A., Philippines, Japan, Canada, Italy, U.K.)
- have gone beyond the goal of having my books in the nine missions founded by St. Junípero Serra gifts shops
- was interviewed on a national radio show and a podcast
- started social media platforms (FB Followers Top 5
1. U.S.A. 2. Philippines 3. Mexico 4. Spain 5. Canada & Twitter Followers Top 5
1. U.S.A. 2. Mexico 3. Spain 4. U.K. 5. Italy)
- Top FB post — 1/28/2018 about my son’s Mission Project reached 9,000+
- Top Tweet impressions — 7/2019 — 11.1K
- Most views for www.Missions1769.com — 7/2/2019; top clicks on image of missions at right (see below)
- started a website for educators
- was interviewed for a national Catholic newspaper and many California newspapers (Catholic and secular)
- spoke to many groups throughout California and in Nevada and Ohio (one led to a job teaching a course at a seminary)
- wrote articles for ten publications
- started a pilgrimage of the 800+ mile California Missions Trail (possible subject for a fourth book?)
- started a petition to nominate Pablo Tac for the cause of canonization
- met many wonderful, open-minded people who have given me so much hope in moving forward
Happy New Year! ¡Feliz año nuevo! สวัสดีปีใหม่! Maligayang bagong taon! Bon any nou! Felice anno nuovo! Bonne année!
Saint Junípero Serra and Pablo Tac, pray for us!
¡Siempre adelante y nunca para atrás!
Author/ Educator/ Freelance Writer / Speaker